Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hi all!

Fourth day in Bolivia. I´m sooo excited to be here. We´ve left the rather idillic, if a little cultish, commune where we had orrientation to start homestays in the city of Cochabamba (sp?). My family is wonderful! I´m living with an extended family, grandmother, children, nephews, housekeeper. The house is quite large (by Bolivian standards) and has a hotish indoor shower! I´m not sure that I have seen all of it yet. So far food has been good. (only one lunch but the vegetable soup was splendid). The neighborhood for the homestays is ¨muy tranquillo¨ upper middle class, very safe feeling.

I´ve been practicing spanish. I had a long conversation with my host brother/uncle and did quite well.

News on coca leaves. Not very exciting. Some people claim that they are a miracle cure all (anything from altitiude, to staying awake, to falling asleep). In my experience its pretty similar to what i would imagine chewing a bunch of maple leaves would be like, though the tea is quite soothing.

The next week will consist of time with my family, language classes, and excursions with the group. I should be able to have regular internet access and may even be able to make a call home (mom!) Its posslible I´ll even figure out how to upload a photo.

Love getting emails and comments. Hope all is well back in the US!

p.s. story to come when i have some more time: the bus ride to Quillacolla (sp?) and the boy who peed in a bottle

4 comments:

  1. Great to read your posting. I will look forward to photos, too. (I'm confident you will master uploading.) Speaking of maple (chewing maple leaves)--did you share maple sugar candy with your host family? Reaction?
    Lots of love,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Spanish-speaking skills! Wonderful that you can interact so well. It will be interesting to hear what they think of we crazy Gringos. :- )
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pumpkin!!! Write some of your blog posts in spanish so that we can all practice! The sky just turned kind of purple after an afternoon deluge. Cold and wet. The fall is starting. Really wonderful to hear about your adventures and am looking forward to hearing about the boy who peed in a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, wait, I want to hear more about the "cultish commune." That sounds intriguing. Tell more. How's the bitty camera working out? You should try to upload pictures to snapfish or google in their full size so that if something happens to your camera (goddess forbid) or SD card, you still have the pics. PLUS, I am waiting to SEE!
    Love me

    ReplyDelete