Monday, October 19, 2009

Quick Update

Quick Update:

Evo is coming to Sorata tomorrow!!!!! I get to hear a president speak on my birthday, Pretty awesome present.
I have been having a wonderful time in the produce market, talking to everyone, young and old about life. Everyone has ns of questions about the US. Most have no idea where it is in relationship to Bolivia. A few days ago it was decided for me that I should stay in Sorata forever, find a nice Bolivian boyfriend, and work in the market with them, I pointed out the one tiny flaw with this plan, my boyfriend would be no taller than my shoulder. There are now hourly jokes about the height of my Bolivian boyfriend.
As I’ve gotten to know people better we’ve had much more personal talks about dreams for the future, with the younger girls/women, and their past, with the older women. Its very common for people my age to be pregnant or have kids and be living with a boyfriend. Everyone I talk to says they want more for themselves and their children.
The panaderia I work in is incredible. The make an untold number of pieces of bread every day (I asked Don Helena how many and she simply said “arto”). I help to shape balls of dough into flat disks. In the beginning I sucked. Don Helena would have to fix every single one I attempted to make. I swear dough does not stick to the hands of the old women who I work with but it definitely sticks to my hands. Even now the women easily make five for every one I make. The bread is cooked in an enormous wood fired oven, the reason it is the best bread in Sorata. Thinking about eating the hot bread fresh out of the oven makes my mouth water even now.
I’m still sick. Don’t read any further unless you want to be grossed out cause here come the gory details. I’ve had diarrhea for over two weeks. (plus I have a wicked cold but in comparison it’s not a big deal at all). In two weeks I’ve yet to climb higher than a two on the poop scale (that’s basically chocolate milk). I am forced to get up multiple times every night to squat over an already foul latrine. Before this trip I did not think that one of my frequent expenses would be toilet paper. A course of antibiotics did not help. Last night I started two different medicines for parasites. Grosss. Crister helpfully pointed out that if I’m lucky I’ll be able to see the worms that I may poop out. Woohoo!! I can’t wait. I’m really hoping this medicine does the trick. If not I will be heading to La Paz on Tuesday to poop in a cup.

Some interesting theories for why I’ve been sick so long.
My host mom: I ate a cookie the other day; all I need to do to get better is drink more cocoa tea.
My host sister (16): I’m too far away from my boyfriend; this only furthers her point that I should get a Bolivian boyfriend.
My Brazilian stalker: Beer is the solution; I just need to hang out with him and his friends and party a bit.
My host sister (10): I don’t play enough soccer with her.
My host father: I didn’t wear shoes when I went to brush my teeth the other night.

Despite my almost constant sickness I’m having a pretty incredible time. We only have another week and a half in Sorata. The time is passing wayyyy to fast. I heard it snowed in Mass. That’s crazy! I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment